Applicants will be required to meet the admission requirements of the School of Graduate Studies:
- An Honours bachelor's degree or the international equivalent from an accredited university
- B+ average (77-79%, equivalent to a McMaster 8.5 grade point average) in the final year of undergraduate study
- Applicants whose native language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in the use of the English language, as outlined in the Graduate Calendar. Similar to several other graduate programs, a minimum acceptable TOEFL (iBT) score will be 92 overall with a minimum of 22 for reading 24 for speaking, 24 for listening and 22 for writing. Alternately an overall minimum IELTS score of 7.0 will be required.
For admission to the MSc in Child Life and Pediatric Psychosocial Care program, an applicant must also meet the criteria listed below to ensure the appropriate background and success of our learners.
For those applying to Stream 1 of this program, which provides the academic and clinical preparation to enter the field of child life, applicants will also be required to demonstrate the following:
- A minimum of 100 hours of volunteer work in a child life setting. Those who have not fully completed these hours are still invited to apply. A conditional offer of admission can however only be offered before these hours have been completed. Admission will be contingent upon confirmation of these 100 hours being complete by August 15th in that year. Download a copy of the Volunteer Hours Form.
- A minimum of two undergraduate courses in normative child development. This course work must cover growth and development from birth to 18 years of age as a requirement for child life specialist certification eligibility through the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP). Please refer to http://www.childlife.org/docs/default-source/certification/2019-eligibility-details.pdf?sfvrsn=4 for more information on the specific child development course requirements ACLP will look for to meet their eligibility criteria. A conditional offer of admission can only be made to those still completing this course work. Admission will be contigent upon confirmation of these courses being successfully completed by June 30th in that year.
- Successful completion of the program’s multiple-mini-interviews.
For those applying to Stream 2, applicants must have qualifications as a child life specialist, or health professional.
Meeting the above minimum admissions requirements for both streams does not guarantee admission. Limited space will be available, and the admission process is expected to be competitive.
Complete application requirements for Stream 1 can be found here and Stream 2 here.